No Sugar Added Coconut Banana Muffins
There’s a reason why Tut is mirin’ these banana muffins.
They’re super healthy, delicious and oh so easy to make (Tut’s middle name is lazy). Bonus, these babies also WHOLE GRAIN, PLANT BASED & FREE OF ADDED SUGAR!
WAIT. No added sugar? How is that even a muffin?
Let me break this down for you.
One banana already has 12g of naturally occurring sugar. It’s my food philosophy that we already get all the sweetness we need from whole natural foods! In these muffins I’ve made bananas and their natural sweetness, the star of the show!
All you need for these moist delicious muffins are some basic ingredients and ONE mixing bowl.
Serve these up with some natural peanut butter and you’ve got the perfect breakfast or afternoon snack!
P.S. Obviously I added coconut to these muffins because I add coconut to everything (see my sugar free powerballs!). Feel free to swap in your own favourites (maybe some walnuts?).
RECIPE: No Sugar Added Banana Muffins (Yields 12):
1 Cup of Almond Milk (I use Silk Unsweetened Almond Milk)
1 1/2 Cups of Whole Wheat Flour
Unsweetened Medium Coconut
1 Teaspoon of Pumpkin Spice
2 Squares of Dark Chocolate (85% Cocoa & above)
1 Tablespoon of Baking Powder
1. Mash the four ripe bananas in a bowl
2. Crush two squares of dark chocolate, or use dark chocolate chips (85% Cocoa & above)
3. Combine the mashed bananas, whole wheat flour, almond milk, baking powder and dark chocolate and mix until smooth
4. Pour mix into a lined or greased muffin tin
5. Sprinkle with unsweetened coconut
6. Bake at 350 degrees f for approximately 20 minutes
*If you haven’t quit sugar yet or are at the very beginning of your shaking sugar journey these will not taste very sweet to you. Once your taste buds adjust they will! Add your favourite nut butter (almond or peanut butter) for extra flavour 🙂