Date Seed Coffee
I’m back with another Scrappy Cooking recipe! In this series, I take common food scraps and turn them into delicious dishes. This time, we are making date seed coffee – a great caffeine-free alternative to the traditional hot drink.
Did you know you could turn date seeds into a beverage reminiscent of coffee, but without the caffeine? Date seed coffee has a more subtle flavor, but it’s really delicious and gives you a great excuse to keep those date seeds around.
Why You’ll Love This Recipe
- It’s a great caffeine-free alternative to coffee that is virtually free. Why spend money on decaf coffee, when you can make a lovely drink in your own kitchen using food scraps?
- Speaking of food scraps, by finding use for the date seeds, you are reducing your personal food waste.
- If you find the taste of coffee too intense, this is a great option with a more subtle taste.
- Pitted dates are often more expensive than the ones with seeds. With this recipe, you can save money and enjoy a delicious drink!
How to Make This Recipe
Start by removing the seeds from your dates. For this recipe, I used Medjul dates, so the seeds were quite large. You need about 1/2 cup of date seeds.
The seeds need to be thoroughly cleaned. Scrape off any flesh, wash them and pat them dry.
Preheat the oven to 400F. Transfer the seeds to a lined baking sheet. Bake for about 40 minutes.
Once they have been roasted, transfer the seeds into a coffee grinder and grind. Depending on the type of coffee-making equipment you use, you may choose a coarse or a fine grind.
At this point, use ground date seeds to brew a delicious hot drink.
- If you’re looking for a low-caffeine option, these date seeds can be mixed with ground coffee.
- You can roast and grind the seeds in advance, which means when it’s time to make a “coffee”, it takes less than 5 minutes!
- For an iced coffee drink, brew the ground seeds with hot water, allow it to cool down, then add plant milk, ice and syrup if desired!
Store This Recipe
Once you’ve ground the seeds, store your date “coffee” in an airtight container at room temperature.
Other Recipes You’ll Love
- Ariana Grande’s Salad Recipe
- Pecan Pie Smoothie
- Vegan Dandelion Honey
- Strawberry Top Vinegar
- Almond Cheese Ball
For more recipes like this, check out PlantYou meal planner! Our goal is to make plant-based living as easy as possible. With the PlantYou planner, you can customize your weekly meal plans, choose the number of servings on every single dish, and enjoy an auto-generated shopping list. Eating plants has never been easier!
Date Seed CoffeePin Recipe
- Baking Sheet
- baking parchment
- Coffee grinder
- Cafetiere or coffee machine
- 1/2 cup date seeds about 8 large seeds per cup
- Preheat the oven to 400F and line a baking sheet with parchment.
- Remove the seeds from your dates. I used the seeds from Medjool dates. Clean thoroughly.
- Roast on a parchment-lined baking sheet for around 40 minutes.
- After removing from the oven, use a coffee grinder or food processor to create date coffee grinds.
- Prepare how you would regular coffee.