Shirazi Salad Pitas
I have the perfect summer recipe for you that ticks all the boxes! These Shirazi salad pitas are delicious, nourishing, and extremely refreshing.
If you’re looking for a meal that combines amazing texture, whole food ingredients and signature Middle Eastern flavors, you’ve come to the right place. Because these Shirazi salad pitas will be your new favorite dish for weeks to come!
What is Shirazi Salad?
Shirazi salad is a traditional Persian salad that originates from the city of Shiraz in southwestern Iran. It’s a refreshing and light salad that’s commonly served as a side dish or appetizer in Persian cuisine.
The salad is characterized by its simple yet flavorful ingredients and vibrant colors. The basic ingredients of Shirazi salad typically include:
- Cucumbers. Diced or chopped cucumbers are a primary ingredient, adding a cool and crisp texture to the salad.
- Tomatoes. Similarly, diced or chopped tomatoes are used to provide juiciness and sweetness.
- Red onion. Finely chopped red onion contributes a sharp and tangy flavor to the salad.
- Fresh herbs. Chopped fresh herbs, such as parsley and mint, are essential components that add aromatic freshness to the salad.
- Lime or lemon juice. The salad is dressed with freshly squeezed lime or lemon juice, which not only adds flavor but also helps to enhance the overall nutritional value.
- Olive oil. A drizzle of good-quality olive oil is often added to provide richness and a silky mouthfeel.
- Salt and pepper. These basic seasonings perfectly complement the rest of the ingredients.
The ingredients are typically mixed together, and left to marinate for a short period. Usually it takes about 15-30 minutes to allow the flavors to meld together before serving. Shirazi salad is light, refreshing, and makes for a great accompaniment to various dishes, especially “heavier” meals.
Why You’ll Love This Recipe
- Between cucumber, tomatoes, red onion and herbs, this recipe is an excellent way to use up seasonal produce. In particular, if you are growing these vegetables yourself!
- Shirazi salad is such a perfect summer meal! Serving it in pita adds a great source of carbohydrates and offers and easy, utensil-free eating method.
- The entire meal comes together in under 15 minutes and uses common ingredients. If you’re too lazy to cook a large meal or you’ve had unexpected guests, you could be enjoying these Shirazi salad pitas in no time!
- If you take your own lunch to work or college, this is a fabulous option that will keep you full and hydrated. Keep the salad separate from the flatbread until you’re ready to eat.
How to Make This Recipe
Did I mention that this Shirazi salad pitas recipe is BEYOND EASY?
Start by slicing and dicing your veggies. If you’re using homemade hummus or tzatziki, you may want to prep the sauce before you do the rest.
Then, add tomatoes, cucumbers, red onion, parsley, mint, salt, pepper and lemon juice in a large bowl. Gently toss everything together.
Toast and open your pita pockets. Then, add about a tablespoon of vegan tzatziki or hummus. All that’s left to do is to fill the pitas with Shirazi salad, and enjoy immediately.
- Keep in mind that variations of Shirazi salad might exist, and some people might add additional ingredients like chopped bell peppers or even pomegranate seeds for extra color and flavor. Feel free to get creative too!
- This version of Shirazi salad is oil-free, but if you would prefer to follow a more traditional route, drizzle some olive oil over the ingredients before mixing everything together.
- Although mint and parsley are typically included in this salad, you can improvise by adding other herbs. In particular, basil and green onions go very well with this salad.
- For extra protein, you could add some falafel, crispy tofu, or chickpeas to your Shirazi salad pitas.
Other Ways to Serve Shirazi Salad
Shirazi salad is a versatile and refreshing dish that can be served in various ways to complement different meals or occasions. In addition to Shirazi salad pitas, here are some popular ways to serve it:
- Side dish. Serve Shirazi salad as a refreshing side dish alongside other Middle Eastern or Mediterranean dishes. The salad’s light and tangy flavors can help balance the richness of “heavier” meals such as deep fried falafel, dolmas, or pilaf.
- Appetizer. Present Shirazi salad as a colorful and flavorful appetizer before the main event.
- Salad wraps and rolls. If you don’t have pita on hand, use tortilla, lavash, or rice paper with Shirazi salad as the filling for a quick and nutritious meal.
- Taco topping. Use this salad as a unique topping for tacos, adding a burst of freshness to the rest of the fillings.
- Rice and grain bowls. Add Shirazi salad to rice bowls, grain bowls, or quinoa salads for added texture, color, and flavor.
- Refreshing snack. Enjoy Shirazi salad as a light and refreshing snack on its own, especially on hot days when you’re looking for something cool and revitalizing.
Remember that creativity knows no bounds, so feel free to experiment and find new ways to incorporate Shirazi salad into your meals. Its simple yet delightful flavors can enhance a wide range of dishes and dining experiences.
Other Recipes You’ll Love
- Rice Paper Dumplings (Zero Waste)
- Vegan Tzatziki and Cucumber Mojito
- Tomato Orzo (15-minute Recipe)
- Scarpaccia Zucchini Tart
- Crispy Black Bean Tacos (15-minute Recipe)
If you’re all about simple and beginner-friendly recipes, trust me, you’re going to want to snag a copy of the PlantYou Cookbook! It has over 140 vibrant and delicious plant based recipe, so it’s a real treasure trove of wholesomeegan meals that are perfect for any occasion. As someone who learns best visually, I’ve made sure this cookbook is super user-friendly. Each recipe comes with a handy infographic that breaks down all the ingredients to make it as accessible as possible!
Now, if you’re more of an adventurous home chef, let me introduce you to the PlantYou Planner! It’s like your personalized meal planning genie, offering up a bunch of easy-peasy vegan recipes. The best part? You can dip your toes into the magic with the free version. You’ll get 25 awesome plant-based meals, including our top-notch beginner vegan meal plan.
Oh, and the icing on the vegan cake is that I’ve teamed up with an incredible women-led business to create Complement x PlantYou Essential. It’s a powerhouse multinutrient supplement specially crafted for all you plant-based champs out there. This is a game-changer that makes thriving on a vegan diet an absolute breeze. Trust me, your taste buds and your body will be doing a happy dance. 🌱
The Recipe: Shirazi Salad Pitas
- 3 Roma tomatoes, diced
- 4 Persian cucumbers, diced
- 1 red onion, peeled and diced
- ½ cup parsley, finely chopped
- ½ cup mint, finely chopped
- 1 tsp salt
- ½ tsp black pepper, freshly cracked
- 1 lemon, juiced
- 4 pita breads
- 4 tbsp vegan tzatziki, or hummus
- In a bowl, combine the tomato, cucumber, red onion, parsley, mint, salt, pepper and lemon juice. Gently toss. Now you have a Shirazi salad.
- Open your pitas, and add a tablespoon of vegan tzatziki or hummus. Fill the pitas with the Shirazi salad, and eat immediately.