Oil Free Potato Chips
Finding oil free potato chips in the store can be a struggle… Why not just make them yourself?
Minimizing oil in your diet has plenty of benefits. However, it can be really difficult to find oil free snacks. The good news is, if you learn to cook without oil, you can create amazing healthy treats for yourself, such as these oil free potato chips!
Why You’ll Love This Recipe
- Admit it, if you’ve been eating oil-free for a while, you’ve missed potato chips!
- This recipe makes use of pickle juice, an ingredients that would otherwise be thrown away. Scrappy Cooking at its best.
- All it takes are ONLY THREE INGREDIENTS. It’s so simple, you’ll be making it all the time
- if you have an air fryer, you can make this snack in a very short time
- If you like them extra crispy, I’ve added an option for a little bit of spray oil as well
How to Make This Recipe
Place sliced potatoes in a bowl with the pickle juice. Make sure they are fully submerged, and allow them to marinate for an hour.
Meanwhile, preheat the air fryer to 400F and line a baking sheet with parchment.
Once they’ve been marinating for an hour, drain and pat the potatoes dry. Toss them with dried dill and until the potatoes are coated. Distribute the chips evenly on the parchment lined sheet or in your air fryer tray.
Air fry for 5 minutes. Check, and flip halfway through. Air fry for an additional 5 minutes until crispy. Alternatively, bake in the oven for 30 minutes, flipping halfway through. Enjoy immediately with a dip of choice.
- If you like your potato chips quite salty, sprinkle them with salt once they’re freshly baked.
- You are welcome to add any other spices to add flavour to your oil free potato chips. Use cajun mix, smoked paprika, tomato powder, or extra dried herbs.
- If you don’t have any pickle juice on hand, you can soak your potatoes in a brine of water, salt, and vinegar.
- As long as you keep your chips in an airtight container, they should remain nice and crispy for a few days. You could also line the container with paper towel to absorb any excess moisture.
- If you do use oil in our cooking, you could spray your potatoes with some olive oil immediately before frying them.
Other Recipes You’ll Love
If you love simple and delicious recipes like this one, check out the PlantYou Planner. It has over 600 recipes in its database, all WFPB-compliant, and many of them oil-free. You can create custom meal plans for yourself, or select a meal plan created by our team. For a price of a fancy coffee, you can enjoy the convenience of an interactive meal planner app, along with custom grocery lists and the ability to toggle the number of servings.
Coincidentally, the PlantYou Cookbook came out earlier this year. I am happy to report that the entirety of 140+ recipes are WFPB and oil-free! Grab your copy online or from a book store!
The Recipe: Oil Free Potato Chips
- 3 russet potatoes, thinly sliced
- 2 cups pickle juice
- 1 tbsp dried dill
- cooking spray, optional
- Air Fryer
- Mandolin or sharp knife
- Place sliced potatoes in a bowl with the pickle juice. Make sure they are submerged, and allow to marinate for an hour.
- Preheat the air fryer to 400F. Line a baking sheet with parchment. Drain and pat the potatoes dry, and then add the dried dill and coat the potatoes. Distribute evenly on the parchment lined sheet or in your air fryer tray. At this time, you can spray with olive oil if desired.
- Air fry for 5 minutes. Check, and flip halfway through. Air fry for an additional 5 minutes until crispy. Alternatively bake for 30 minutes, flipping halfway through. Enjoy immediately with a dip of choice.