Beet Pasta Sauce
This Beet Pasta Sauce recipe is for those who like delicious foods that look lush! It’s a pink pasta sauce that is also vegan, dairy free and made with whole-food, plant-based ingredients. And don’t worry, beauty like this is easy to achieve even for complete beginners.
It’s time to give your pasta dish a makeover. This beet pasta sauce is a great way to “beautify” your cooking. What’s more, it doesn’t take hours of work, it can be ready in about 20-25 minutes. Even if you’re a complete novice at cooking, you can impress your loved ones with this pasta dish by using beetroot!
Why You’ll Love This Recipe
- It’s different! This vegan beet pasta sauce is a great way to surprise your family or guests with a unique new dish.
- Pasta dishes do not have to be complicated, they just have to be well-balanced. This sauce is creamy, earthy, tangy, and savory. It really hits the spot.
- It is a thing of beauty, even if I say so myself! If you like to have aesthetically pleasing food without spending hours in the kitchen, this recipe is for you.
- The simplicity of this vegan pink pasta sauce means that it’s suitable for busy people and beginner cooks.
- It makes a filling pasta dish using only whole-food ingredients. The sauce is packed with nutrients, including fiber, healthy fats, and vitamins.
What is Beet Pasta Sauce Made Of?
To get a vibrant and spring like pink color in your pasta sauce, you can use the natural pigment of beetroot. When combined with ingredients like cashews, coconut milk and a seasonings, you can’t taste the beet at all – but what you’re left with is an incredible bright pink pasta sauce.
How to Make This Recipe
In a blender, combine the cashews, beets, coconut milk, garlic, lemon juice, and salt until smooth. Start by adding a small amount of beet until you get the desired color. It’s also a good idea to taste test as you add your beets. While they have wonderful earthy notes, it can feel overpowering to some people when there is too much of it.
Bring some salted water to a boil. Cook pasta according to package directions, reserving a 1/3 a cup of pasta water.
Add the pink sauce to a pan, with the cooked pasta and pasta water, and combine until coated. Serve immediately with vegan feta and crushed pistachios.
- If you don’t have access to store-bought vegan feta, you can make your own tofu feta at home!
- Feel free to improvize when it comes to toppings. I used vegan feta and crushed pistachios, but you can also enjoy this dish with fresh herbs, crispy onions, toasted seeds, balsamic glaze, and more!
- It is up to you how much beet you add to the sauce. I used two small beets to achieve the beautiful color and to give the sauce a slightly earthy taste. However, I would advise adding a little bit of beet at a time to make sure you are happy with the flavor balance and the color.
- If you cannot have nuts, use firm tofu or white beans in place of soaked cashews, and top the pasta with toasted seeds instead of pistachios.
- This vegan pink pasta sauce works with most types of pasta, including gnocchi. Don’t be afraid to experiment!
Other Recipes You’ll Love
- Vegan Chicken Noodle Soup
- Meal Prep Pasta Salad with Italian Dressing
- Cold Noodle Salad with Nut Dressing
- Vegan Baked Feta Gnocchi
- Vegan Hamburger Helper
If you love creative yet simple plant-based recipes, you’ve gotta get your hands on a copy of the PlantYou Cookbook! The book features over 140 delicious vegan recipes for every occasion. The recipes were designed to be simple and accessible, and each recipe is accompanied by a helpful infographic for visual learners. It is truly a book I wish I had when I first started eating plant-based. Incredibly, online retailers have sold out of stock very quickly, so visit your local bookstore or enjoy the digital copy on your Kindle, iPad, or another electronic device.
And if you prefer your recipes digitally anyway, I have some great news for you. There is a digital meal planner with over 550 recipes in its database and the ability to fully customize your weekly menu, including the number of servings! Sounds good? Check out the PlantYou Planner!
The Recipe: Beet Pasta Sauce
- 2 small beets, peeled, cooked and chopped
- ¾ cup cashews, soaked overnight
- ¼ cup coconut milk
- ½ cup vegetable broth, or water
- 2 cloves garlic, peeled
- ½ tsp sea salt
- 1 lemon, juiced
- 1 box rigatoni
- ½ cup vegan feta, crumbled or cubed
- ¼ cup pistachios, or walnuts
- Pasta pot
- In a blender, combine the cashews, beets, coconut milk, garlic, lemon juice, and salt until smooth. Start by adding a small amount of beet until you get the desired color.
- Boil pasta according to package directions, reserving a 1/3 a cup of pasta water.
- Add the pink sauce to a pan, with the cooked pasta and pasta water, and combine until coated. Serve immediately with vegan feta and crushed pistachios.