Vegan Mac and Cheese Without Cashews (WFPB, Oil Free)
This Vegan Mac and Cheese is a copycat of your favorite boxed mac’, except it’s plant-based, oil-free and nut free (no cashews in this recipe)!
When I think of comfort food mac and cheese instantly pops into my head. There’s nothing better than macaroni noodles slathered in velvety cheesy goodness. Turn on the Hallmark channel for a corny rom com and I really can’t think of a better way to spend an evening.
My favorite mac and cheese used to be the Kraft boxed kind, but unfortunately, it’s not vegan. So I had to try and emulate it myself. The good news is my vegan interpretation of this classic is such an easy recipe that comes all together in less than 15 minutes flat.
What’s In Vegan Mac and Cheese?
To make this simple vegan mac and cheese recipe, you need just a few whole food ingredients.
- Macaroni noodles (I used whole wheat)
- Coconut milk (I used the full fat coconut milk from the can)
- Almond milk or cashew (basically any unsweetened plant-based milk will do apart from oat)
- Nutritional yeast (gives the sauce a nice yellow color and umami flavor)
- Garlic powder
- Apple cider vinegar
As you can see, this sauce really is made up of almost entirely whole foods. Not only will your taste buds be satisfied, you can feel good about eating this healthy mac and cheese as well!
How Do You Make Vegan Cheese Sauce?
You won’t believe how easy it is to make this vegan cheese sauce.
You simply add your ingredients including nutritional yeast, vegan milk, coconut milk, garlic powder, paprika and apple cider vinegar to your blender and combine until a smooth sauce is formed. That’s literally it!
How Do I Make This Cheese Sauce Thicker?
This vegan cheese sauce is meant to be reminiscent of the classic Kraft Mac N’ Cheese, so it’s not super thick. I always recommend adding it to your pot of pasta (once drained), mixing, then allowing for it to sit for at least 3 minutes so the starches of the pasta can help thicken the sauce.
Alternatively, you could add the sauce to a warm pan over medium heat, and mix in a cornstarch or arrowroot slurry to thicken to your desired consistency.
In this case, the sauce could be served as a nacho cheese alternative, or even poured over a baked potato. The possibilities are truly endless!
For more comfort food recipes, try out our:
- Vegan Tomato Soup Recipe With Red Lentils & Cashews
- Vegan Pulled Pork
- Easy Vegan Flatbread Pizza (15 Minute Recipe)
- Gigi Hadid’s Vodka Pasta Sauce Recipe Veganized
Vegan Mac and CheesePin Recipe
- 150 g whole wheat macaroni
- 3/4 cup coconut milk canned
- 1/3 cup unsweetened almond milk
- 1/4 cup nutritional yeast
- 1/2 tbsp garlic powder
- 1/2 tbsp paprika
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1 tsp apple cider vinegar
- Cook your macaroni according to package directions, drain and set aside.
- Meanwhile, blend the coconut milk, almond milk, spices and vinegar together until a creamy sauce is formed.
- Pour the sauce in portions over the macaroni until you reach your desired consistency. Allow to sit for 3 to 5 minutes to thicken and cool slightly. Enjoy immediately.