Gigi Hadid’s Vodka Pasta Sauce Recipe Veganized
Supermodel Gigi Hadid has blessed the world with her insanely delicious spicy vodka pasta sauce recipe. With heavy cream, parmesan cheese and butter, the recipe is far from vegan, so let’s make a healthy plant-based version!
In case you needed another reason to curl up with a big bowl of pasta, Gigi Hadid has gone on her instagram stories and showed us her family favorite Spicy Vodka Pasta recipe. The simple and delicious pasta recipe has been seen all over TikTok and Instagram since, and I thought I’d try my hand at making a vegan version!
What’s In Gigi’s Spicy Vodka Pasta Sauce?
The original recipe is as follows:
¼ cup olive oil
1 small clove of garlic, diced
¼ onion, diced
¼ cup tomato paste
½ cup heavy cream
1 tablespoon vodka
1 teaspoon red pepper flakes
225 grams of shells pasta
1 tablespoon butter
¼ cup parmesan cheese
Basil, chopped, to serve
Salt and pepper to taste
As a plant-based food blogger who avoids oil in my recipes, I saw this as quite the fun challenge. In this case, we need to replace the heavy cream, butter and parmesan cheese but still create a reach velvety vodka sauce.
How To Make This Recipe Vegan
To make Gigi’s Spicy Vodka Pasta recipe vegan, we made a few simple swaps while still maintaining the integrity of the original recipe. I wanted to make sure that the recipe was both vegan, and a lot healthier for you to serve my whole-food, plant-based, oil-free readers.
Instead of olive oil, I simply sauted the garlic and onion in water. You can learn more about our oil free cooking approach here.
In place of cream, I used a mix of unsweetened almond milk (you could use cashew or soy milk as well), and refrigerated coconut milk for extra creaminess.
Finally, instead of parmesan cheese, I topped my pasta with nutritional yeast at the end which gave it the perfect cheesy flavor.
I have to admit, this recipe is INSANELY delicious, and one that will no doubt be on repeat in our kitchen.
Can I Make This Recipe Without Vodka?
I had some vodka on hand, and the recipe only calls for a teaspoon, so I did use vodka in my rendition of this recipe.
With that said, you can totally make this spicy sauce with no vodka by using a teaspoon of lemon juice or vinegar instead. It all depends on your preference and whether you have access to the ingredient or not!
Gigi Hadid's Spicy Vodka Pasta Sauce Recipe, Veganized
- 2 cups whole wheat penne dry
- 1/4 white onion diced
- 4 cloves garlic diced
- 1/4 cup tomato paste
- 1 tsp vodka
- 1/2 cup unsweetened almond milk
- 3 tbsp coconut milk full fat
- 1 tsp red pepper flakes or more for preference
- 1/4 cup reserved pasta water
- 1/2 tsp salt to taste
- 1 handful spinach or basil
- 3 tbsp nutritional yeast
- Cook your pasta according to package directions, reserving 1/4 a cup of pasta water before draining.
- In a pan over medium heat, saute the diced onion and garlic until translucent, approximately 3 minutes.
- Add the tomato paste and stir, followed by the vodka, almond milk and coconut cream. Mix until a sauce is formed, then add the red chili flakes, salt and pepper.
- Pour in the reserved pasta water and cooked penne to the pan. Stir until the pasta is coated, adding a handful of spinach or fresh basil in at the end. Serve with nutritional yeast and more salt and pepper as desired.