How To Make Peanut Butter
The healthiest version of your favorite household staple!
As a kid, I used to eat peanut butter straight from the jar. I love having peanut butter as a simple snack or added to my favorite desserts. And while most are already vegan, it also contains added processors like hydrogenated oils to extend its shelf life, which isn’t really in line with a whole food plant-based lifestyle!
That’s why I created this new recipe so you can make your own without all of the extra stuff. This homemade peanut butter is simple, delicious, and less expensive than buying the equivalent organic version in the store.
Why You’ll Love This Peanut Butter Recipe
- It is simple: It only has one ingredient, peanuts! Plus, it only takes about 20 minutes to make, start to finish.
- It’s healthy: With only one ingredient, you don’t need to worry about processed additives like hydrogenated oils.
- It is versatile: Eat it on its own, or add it to any other PB based recipes you already love.
- It is kid-friendly: This PB recipe tastes fantastic. Your kids will never know the difference!
- It’s budget-friendly: Organic, clean peanut butter can get pricey. But only just buying peanuts will last you (and your money) a lot longer!
How To Make Peanut Butter Creamy
- Invest in a good food processor.
Using a high-quality food processor will ensure your peanut butter turns out extra creamy. I do not recommend using a blender unless you have an extremely high-powered one with a tough motor! Here is a food processor that I recommend.
- Add oil as needed.
First, blend the peanuts in the food processor as much as possible before adding in the oil. If the peanut butter is not as creamy as you would like, add in the oil one teaspoon at a time! A little oil will make a big difference, so don’t over-add.
- Do not add water
Because they release their own oil, adding water is a no-go. Oil and water do not mix well, so adding water will only make your peanut butter cease up.
How To Make Peanut Butter Healthy
If you want your PB to be as healthy as possible, do not add any extra oil or sugar. The peanuts release their own oil, so it is not a necessity. As long as you can get the peanut butter to a consistency you like, you don’t need anything else!
Hack it (Tips on how to make the recipe better)
- Add in some seasonings to amp up the flavor! I recommend using sea salt, cinnamon, nutmeg, or vanilla.
- Add in some unsweetened cocoa powder with maple syrup to satisfy those chocolate cravings!
Equipment We Used
How To Make This Recipe
First, Preheat the oven to 400F and line a baking sheet with parchment paper.
Then, roast the peanuts for 10 minutes until the oils start to release.
After the oils start to release, add the peanuts to a food processor.
In steps, blend the peanuts, scraping down the sides every couple of minutes to combine.
Continue until smooth. Add in maple syrup and oil to smooth as desired before your last blend.
Once it has reached your desired consistency, take it out and enjoy! Store it in a mason jar or airtight container and keep it in the refrigerator.
Other Recipes You’ll Love
Ready to use your homemade peanut butter? Try it in these recipes!
The Recipe: Plant-Based Peanut Butter
- 2 cups Shelled peanuts
- 2 tbsp Maple syrup, Optional
- 2 tbsp Peanut oil, Optional
- Preheat the oven to 400F and line a baking sheet with parchment paper.
- Roast the peanuts for 10 minutes, until the oils start to release.
- Add to a food processor, and in steps, blend, scraping down the sides every couple minutes to combine. Continue until the peanut butter is smooth. Add in maple syrup and oil to smooth as desired before your last blend.
*Affiliate links are used within this article