Vegan Chicken Broth
Let’s make delicious, warming vegan chicken broth from an unexpected scrappy ingredient! Trust me, you’ll be thanking me later.
Ever wonder what you could do with leftover corn cobs once you’ve used the kernels? What about the skin of an onion? Thanks to the magic of Scrappy Cooking, we can transform these common kitchen scraps into delicious vegan chicken broth. Not only is it a great way to enjoy a familiar flavor, it’s also a great way to reduce your food waste.
Why You’ll Love This Recipe
- The combination of sweetness from the corn, poultry seasoning, and turmeric, make it almost indistinguishable from actual chicken broth. It looks, tastes, and smells incredible!
- There are so many ways to use it! From soups and stews to oil-free cooking and ramen, this vegan chicken broth is very versatile.
- It’s just so comforting! Perfect for sipping on a cold day or when you’re feeling unwell.
- Not only is it functional, it’s also good for your digestion!
- It’s definitely more affordable than any vegan chicken broth you could find in the store. And that’s of you’re lucky enough to have access to it!
How to Make This Recipe
You’ll be amazed how easy this vegan chicken broth is. All you have to do is combine all ingredients in a large pot with 8 to 12 cups of filtered water.
Bring the contents to a boil, then simmer on low heat for 1 to 3 hours. This will allow the water to infuse with all the amazing flavors. Drain the bay leaves, onion skin, garlic and leftover corn cobs for compost, and enjoy the broth! You can store it in the fridge for up to a week, and the freezer for up to 3 months.
- Did you know that you can easily can your broth to make it last? Heat clean jars in the oven to sanitise them and prevent them from breaking. Bring the broth to a boil. Pour it into hot jars and close with a lid. The cooling process will make the lid seal without any special equipment!
- Think of all the different soup recipes you can make using this vegan chicken broth!
- If you freeze it with herbs, you get a double-scrappy recipe of green broth bombs!
- You can also add peppercorns or allspice for a sharper flavor.
Other Recipes You’ll Love
- Vegetable Soup with Rice and Beans
- Vegan Ramen Soup Jar
- Dill Pickle Chip Soup
- Gut Healing Vegan Stew
- Vegan Chicken Noodle Soup
You know what else you could use this vegan chicken broth for? The recipes in the PlantYou Cookbook! It features over 140 delicious whole-food plant-based recipes for every taste and every occasion, and is very user-friendly. Every recipe is accompanied by an infographic, showing off all the vibrant ingredients. Plant-based cooking has never been easier!
If you generally enjoy easy plant-based recipes, check out the PlantYou meal planner! It’s a digital planner that allows you to customize your weekly menu by choosing from over 600 delicious vegan meals. In addition, all recipes are made with whole foods and widely available ingredients.
The Recipe: Vegan Chicken Broth
- 4 corn cobs, kernels removed
- 2 bay leaves
- 3 cloves garlic
- 1 tbsp poultry seasoning
- 2 tsp celery salt
- ½ tsp turmeric
- 1 tsp garlic powder
- 1 onion skin
- large pot
- Combine all ingredients in a large pot with 8 to 12 cups of filtered water. Bring to a boil, then simmer on low for 1 to 3 hours. Drain the bay leaves, onion skin and leftover corn cobs for compost, and keep the reserved broth.
- Store in the fridge for up to 5 days, or in a freezer safe container for up to 3 months.